Spicy Saucy Bison Meatballs from the Bison Council
Prep Time 15 minutes. Cooking Time 15 minutes. Makes 45 cocktail size meatballs or 21 Full-sized Spaghetti Meatballs.
For the Meatballs
- 2 lbs. Ground Bison
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs, plain
- 3 tbsp. of fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground basil
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
For the spicy sauce
- 6 tbsp. green relish
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 6 tbsp. finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp. vinegar (use Balsamic if you like a sharper flavor)
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha Sauce (Optional)
- Good pinch of cracked black pepper
To make the Meatballs
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
In a large bowl, add ground bison, egg, onion, parsley, bread crumbs,
pepper, salt, basil and Worcestershire sauce and mix well with your
Form into quarter sized or golf ball sized balls and place on an oiled sheet
careful not to overcrowd and let the meatballs touch.
Bake in oven 15 minutes.
Makes about 25 meatballs.
To make the Spicy Sauce
Mix the green relish, ketchup, tomato sauce, onion, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, water, vinegar and cracked pepper together in a large non-stick pan.
Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add cooked meatballs and cook gently for another 10-15 minutes until meatballs are heated through.